CONVENT OF SAN BENITO

CONVENT OF SAN BENITO

In 1218 the Knights of the Military Order of San Julian del Pereriro took up residence in Alcántara, and change its name to the Military Order of Alcántara. Occupy the old castle, where the citadel was located, until the construction of the convent, during the reign of the Catholic Kings, following during Charles V, until the time of Philip II, who for financial reasons would be incomplete.

The Gothic cloister, a square that has two floors, low arches and ribbed vaults, where dependencies and open graves: the Chapel ”del Comendador of Villasayas” or ”Sala Capitular,” is the granite stonework and Gothic. Has a fixed file that served as the sacristy, where were the originals for the restoration of the bridge in the year 1856 plans. The refectory was the dining room of the friars, maintains a long bench and gateway to the pulpit, currently serves as a conference room.

Address: Regimiento Argel Street, 39
Town: Alcántara
Country: España
icon

Share

Weather

Unknown

3°C

Alcántara

Unknown

Humidity: 100%

Wind: 3.22 km/h

  • 17 Mar 2016

    Sunny 18°C 3°C

  • 18 Mar 2016

    PM Light Rain 13°C 6°C

Google Play QR

Google Play QR

App Store QR

App Store QR