Door to the historic center of Alcantara, to what remains of the city walls. Had defense functions and to control the entrance of the village.
Solar House Renaissance, clearly shows the growth of construction promoted by the nobility and clergy established in Alcantara and connected to the Military Order of Alcántara.
A small chapel built in masonry slate and simple design. It is one of many religious buildings that abounded in the historic center.
In 1218 the Knights of the Military Order of San Julian del Pereriro took up residence in Alcántara, and change its name to the Military Order of Alcántara. Occupy the old castle, where the citadel was located, until the construction of the convent, during the reign of the Catholic Kings, following during Charles V, until the time of Philip II, who for financial reasons would be incomplete.
House attached to the convent of San Benito, where he lived Clavero, member of the Military Order of Alcántara responsible for the safekeeping of keys lay convent and file.
Master S.XVI house built by Don Bernardo de Aldana, uncle of San Pedro de Alcantara and brave warrior of the Court of Felipe II, who died in a Turkish galley.
House Bootello family of origin linked to Portuguese Military Order and settled in Alcantara from the late fourteenth century.
Hospital S.XVI great and charitable function was sponsored by Bootello family. In the nineteenth century, various seizures, lose their income and charity function. Currently houses the Public Library
Mansion of the seventeenth century and early sixteenth family of noble lineage as evidenced by the family burial in the Church of Santa Maria de Almocóvar,
Almocóvar is an Arabic word which comes from ”Al-Mocovara”, which means ”the highest point” or ”Al-Maqâvir”, ”cemetery”. The church is built over the old mosque near the end of the thirteenth century, is the burial place of the Knights of the Order and any noticeable changes in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Begins the first reconstruction of the Town Hall in the time Filipe III, and ends at Carlos II, as indicated by the gravestones that flank the entrance.
Building of traditional architecture of Alcantara, with elements of great value hitórico - artistic, graffiti, granite portico with columns, etc..
Small house known for its granite columns of the portico and cellar.
Home Family Perero seated in Alcántara in the thirteenth century, after the arrival of the Order of St Julian´s Pereiro, who took the name. Built between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries later renovated in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Home is where the Barrantes family settled in S. XIII. Lived in this house historian Pedro Barrantes Maldonado, brother of Saint Peter of Alcantara.
Church made in the seventeenth century in the birthplace of San Pedro de Alcántara site to commemorate his beatification. The construction was financed by the people of Alcántara.
Its location within the primitive fortress became known as Santa Maria ”In the Village” or ”La Antigua” as indicated by the source before the sixteenth century. Today he is known as ”The Sisters” by nunnery adjacent Caballeras.
Attached to the Church of the Incarnation ”La Antigua” since 1562, is known as the Convent of the Nuns because it was inhabited by nuns or Comendadoras Caballeras, female branch of the Order of Alcántara, who, as Freyre had to prove the purity of blood and nobility .
Set includes Roman Arch Bridge and temple S.II. ”... Where art is defeated in his own field, will last the duration of the change.” Caius Iulis Lacer, creator of the work.
House fortress built in the fifteenth and early sixteenth century by Topete family, created Alcántara since its conquest in the thirteenth century.
The first documentary reference to the existence of this house is dated 1401, although the current building was carried out during the first third of the seventeenth century by Frey Don Juan Roco Campofrio.
Dona Elvira Gutiérrez, Francisco Palomeque widow, and her son Juan Palomeque Paper, funded the construction of the chapel in 1574, where Mass was celebrated for the first time on March 20 this year.
Belongs to the family lineage Point settled in this city since the fifteenth century, in 1699 the Marquis of Torreorgaz granted Don Diego Aponte and Zúñiga, Topete and Aldana, Perpetual Regidor and Knight of the Order of Alcántara.
Illustrious lineage of neighboring Portugal old sitting in Extremadura, but it is not known exactly when they have done in Alcantara.
Located in the heart of the Jewish Quarter is this property, which according to Pedro Barrantes Maldonado was Jewish synagogue. Probably the original building was built in the fourteenth century.
Popularly known as ”Casa de los Calderones” the melting pot that is in the arms of its facade, heraldry instead attributed to Oviedo lineage of illustrious family since the fifteenth century and looks set to Alcantara.
The Cabrera family became one of the most illustrious families of the eighteenth century in Extremadura, which was granted Vizcondado Tower Albarragena during the reign of Charles II.
In the late nineteenth century, Modernism began as an artistic movement spread nationwide, although the movement in architecture as Extremadura not be introduced until later dates.
Lineage sitting in Alcantara, perpetual military occupation and city councilors. For services to Philip V during the War of the Spanish Succession the privilege of nobility on January 21, 1714 was granted.
”Kantara-as-Saif” is one of the wonders of the world. It is a fortress built on a bridge, its population inhabits this stronghold where it is protected from damage, because they can not attack more than the side of the door. ”Al-Idrisi (Arabic geographer s. XII)
It belonged to the first convent of the female branch of the Military Order of Alcántara. Dating from the XVI-XVII
Built in honor of San Anton Abad, as the Villa de Alcántara was finally conquered Muslims on January 17, 1213, the feast of that saint.
Located outside the villa, was used to provide water to the population and livestock watering. Press construction of functionality over aesthetics.
The chronicler of the Military Order of Alcántara, Frey Alonso Torres and Tápias indicates that this chapel existed in 1235.
Built in the fifteenth century by a neighbor of Alcantara, Bartolomé de Oviedo. Today is part of the Network Hospederias of Extremadura
The building is constructed over the XVI and XVII, where Pedro de Ibarra, Master Builder of the Military Order of Alcántara worked centuries.
It is located in Eljas river in a natural environment in the Tagus International Natural Park. Interestingly, adding that half of the bridge is in Alcantara and the other half in Segura, Portugal.
Wind: 3.22 km/h